2018 Donor Drive – Season 1

The [P4CK] Forum Index The [P4CK] Announcements Donor Drive 2018 Donor Drive – Season 1

What should The [P4CK] use our donations for?

Choose your priority to help our admins determine how to use the contributions from awesome members like you!

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Web Hosting
  • Game Server Hosting
  • Purchase Server Hardware
  • Monthly Giveaways/MVP Rewards

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eddbert January 5, 2018 at 3:41 pm.

• Author
    Cumb
    Cumb
    • I stream my gameplay! Check out my profile for the link to my channel!

CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO THE [P4CK] AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!

THE 2018 DONOR DRIVE IS UPON US!

SEASON ONE BEGINS JANUARY 1ST AND ENDS APRIL 30TH

Each year, The [P4CK] works with its members to select priorities for the use of all donations. We want you to feel invested by giving back to The [P4CK] and seeing where your contributions go!

Every season we’ll report our expenditures and contributions so that you can track our progress. Voting is open all year, so feel free to adjust your priorities accordingly! Whenever bills come due, we’ll take a look here and see what The [P4CK] wants us to spend money on.

At the end of each season we’ll post here with a reply that has the following info:

• Total Donations
    • Total Expenses
    • Expense Breakdown
      • Date
      • [P4CK] priorities at the time of the expense

EXPENDITURE CATEGORIES:

You can vote for any of the following general categories to help The [P4CK] prioritize their monthly expenditures!

• Web Hosting – help support The [P4CK]’s website by supplementing the costs of hosting, SSL certificates, DNS protection, and site security for a speedy and safe user experience!
    • Game Server Hosting – help support The [P4CK]’s in-game servers by supplementing the costs of rental space
    • 2018 ONLY – Purchase our own server! – support the goal of purchasing our own server hardware to drastically reduce monthly overhead and expand the potential for hosting new game servers!
    • Monthly Giveaways/MVP Rewards – support the cost of our monthly giveaways and MVP awards by contributing toward the cost of awesome prizes. You might even be a winner!

Remember to vote for your donation priority!

Note: all [P4CK] members can vote, even if you aren’t a donor. We want to hear from everyone even if you may not be able to contribute to The [P4CK] financially. Your voice counts!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by The [P4CK] The [P4CK]. Reason: Added the link to the Donations page!
    Gridsquare
    Gridsquare

Take mah money!

Eddbert

Question: What is the monthly cost to host the website and everything? Server hardware can be pretty pricey. It will also require someone to maintain that server. I wonder if the risk\cost of owning the hardware is worth it. I 100% support having a website/forums and game server hosting. Giveaways are cool but probably 3rd most important to me on this list.

1. Website/forums
    2. Game servers
    3. Giveaways
    4. Server hardware

You should add the donation information here.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Eddbert.

OH MAN WOW I POSTED THE LONGEST FUCKING REPLY. HOLY SHIT. It went nowhere I guess. Fucking awesomely cool I’m not salty right now except that I spent 45 minutes on it. Sorry @eddbert, you’re getting the short version this time:

• Web hosting costs about $85/month, here’s the breakdown:
        • $50 for hosting
        • $1/month for domain
        • $10/month for admin emails
        • $20/month for web security (firewall and CDN)
        • $3/month for SSL certificate
      • We went with GoDaddy because the service has honestly been great including 24/7 phone support etc.
      • We are not looking to get a server to host our own website on it, because that is a maintenance nightmare. We would stick with GoDaddy.
      • We are currently bleeding money due to game server hosting, though this has clearly been a major draw for players and new admins – it is something we want to continue to pursue.
      • Using game server hosting companies severely limits our flexibility
        • It is hard to switch games and results in downtime or additional costs
        • It is hard to switch the number of slots and results in downtime or additional costs
          • We are generally paying for lots of slots we don’t need for three reasons:
            1. We need to keep slots open so that new player will want to join
            2. We need to pay for each slot even if we aren’t using the resources for that slot
            3. If we have too few slots, it will appear that the server does not have room for growth and will be unappealing to a majority of players (most players seek a larger server vs. a smaller one)
            4. However, keeping too many slots open creates a deceptively empty server based on online user numbers
      • The flexibility of hosting our own solves all these issues
      • On to a brief explanation about how this plays into donations overall etc:
        • We are only going to spend donations on existing expenses first, i.e. website hosting, monthly giveaways & mvp rewards, game servers, etc.
        • If we have extra donations/subscriptions revenue at the end of the month we’ll either spend or set aside that money based on the priority that has the most votes at the time
          • If that’s server hardware, we’ll still pay all the other necessary expenses and set the money aside
          • If it isn’t server hardware (which we don’t really think it will be) and Giveaway/MVP rewards, for example, we will either make sure the next month’s rewards are extra awesome or set the money aside to beef up our End of the Year pool, when we try to do a major giveaway.

I hope this helps clear everything up!

Eddbert

@KidVic

Attachments:

Eddbert

OH MAN WOW I POSTED THE LONGEST FUCKING REPLY. HOLY SHIT. It went nowhere I guess. Fucking awesomely cool I’m not salty right now except that I spent 45 minutes on it. Sorry @eddbert, you’re getting the short version this time:

• Web hosting costs about $85/month, here’s the breakdown:
      • $50 for hosting
      • $1/month for domain
      • $10/month for admin emails
      • $20/month for web security (firewall and CDN)
      • $3/month for SSL certificate
    • We went with GoDaddy because the service has honestly been great including 24/7 phone support etc.
    • We are not looking to get a server to host our own website on it, because that is a maintenance nightmare. We would stick with GoDaddy.
    • We are currently bleeding money due to game server hosting, though this has clearly been a major draw for players and new admins – it is something we want to continue to pursue.
    • Using game server hosting companies severely limits our flexibility
      • It is hard to switch games and results in downtime or additional costs
      • It is hard to switch the number of slots and results in downtime or additional costs
        • We are generally paying for lots of slots we don’t need for three reasons:
          1. We need to keep slots open so that new player will want to join
          2. We need to pay for each slot even if we aren’t using the resources for that slot
          3. If we have too few slots, it will appear that the server does not have room for growth and will be unappealing to a majority of players (most players seek a larger server vs. a smaller one)
          4. However, keeping too many slots open creates a deceptively empty server based on online user numbers
    • The flexibility of hosting our own solves all these issues
    • On to a brief explanation about how this plays into donations overall etc:
      • We are only going to spend donations on existing expenses first, i.e. website hosting, monthly giveaways & mvp rewards, game servers, etc.
      • If we have extra donations/subscriptions revenue at the end of the month we’ll either spend or set aside that money based on the priority that has the most votes at the time
        • If that’s server hardware, we’ll still pay all the other necessary expenses and set the money aside
        • If it isn’t server hardware (which we don’t really think it will be) and Giveaway/MVP rewards, for example, we will either make sure the next month’s rewards are extra awesome or set the money aside to beef up our End of the Year pool, when we try to do a major giveaway.

I hope this helps clear everything up!

I think you covered everything thanks for the answer!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.